Monday, May 26, 2008

Denali Journal, Day 19: Base Camp to Talkeetna

We woke up to a beautiful day at Base Camp today--a pure blue sky!  Shortly after 10:00, the beautiful site of the Hudson Air Service ski plane was upon me--it landed and picked me up along with some other guys from the Climbers for Christ group.  We got in to Talkeetna at about 11:00ish.  Once at the hanger, it felt really awkward to get out of the ski plane with down booties on and a big puffy -40 degree down jacket on, but I managed!  After tidying up some things at Hudson, I went straight for the Roadhouse to get a "Full Standard" breakfast, coffee, and my fill of goodies.  I also stopped in at the Park Service to let them know that I was back early and to give them an update.  

I can't stop thinking about the rest of the team up at Camp IV--I hope they summit and that they are don't push it too hard.  Also, I worry about the 2 missing Japanese climbers.  I have to admit also, that coming back to civilization, with all its creature comforts, stings a bit while my team is still up there--I miss Dan and the rest of the gang already!  I guess it's just the "post-expedition/race" funk--I used to get it a lot after adventure races, where I would feel worn out, a bit emotional, and with an empty "what next" feeling in my gut.  Something tells me it won't be long before that void is filled!

3 comments:

Tim said...

Barry- Thanks for all of the great details of your trials and tribulations on the mountain (Dittmer's mtn-man beard photo is already posted on his whiteboard). Very sorry to see that you had to descend early. 8^( Please extend Dan the good wishes of his pals at Seagate if/when you two are in contact.
-tim

Baron Schon said...

Hi Tim,

I will pass that along to Dan when I see him in Talkeetna. I expect them to fly off sometime on Friday, depending on if they summit. Yeah, he's grown quite the beard up there-all the better when the high is -10 degrees!

-Baron

Scott Frank said...

Welcome home!! Im very excited to read through all your posts. Ill wait to its all complete tho..cant wait to hear from you when your all done decompressing and getting back into your life.