Saturday, May 10, 2008

Denali Journal, Day 3: Camp I to Camp II at 9,800 ft.

My hand is strangely tired so I might keep this short!  It was a pretty tough day!  I woke up to the snow raining down onto my icy forehead--snow from a full night of breath condensing and freezing on the tent roof above us.  The sun was out in full force and the sky was blue like the ocean.  Breakfast was a granola bar and a toasted bagel.  I used two coffee packs to get a "real" cup today, although it was already 9:00 a.m. and we had slept a full 10 hours.  The hike was another long, hot slog and my pack was much heavier, so I had to work out some kinks still in the hip placement.  I moved most of the weight to my pack to get about 60 lbs in my pack and about 40 lbs in my sled to make pulling a lot easier (which it was).  Ski Hill got steep in sections, and I tried to zone in on thoughts of family and friends while staring at my 8 limbs lurching up the slope--2 arms, 2 legs, and their shadows.  The last two "pushes" were hard and my left hip was giving me grief so I tightened up my shoulder strap to provide some relief.  I ran across Matt from AMS a few yards from our campsite--it's always nice to see another familiar face out here.  Wes proceeded to build his "office", or crapper hole and it was sure a palace!  I took my first stab at the CMC and it was a clean shot right in  This morning, someone crapped all over the plastic liner, unleashing a reminder from Mike Walter, our lead guide.  No one fessed up, but RMI warned us that fecal matter in the kitchen will get us all sick.  Dinner was awesome tonight: stir fry with chicken!  Fede, one of our assistant guides, stopped in our tent to check on us.  He also talked a lot about Aconcagua and his guides there, since he is from Argentina.

Total Time: 5 hrs, 44 min.
Total Gain: 1975 ft.

No comments: