Thursday, May 15, 2008

Denali Journal, Day 8: Camp III (Rest)

[10:30 a.m.] I woke up this morning with a huge headache and a full bladder, with modest winds whipping our tent and creating drifts all around the campsite. Since I had already filled my pee bottle, I suited up and made my way to the designated camp pee site--it is up this off-camber trail that is really hard to walk up with my down camp booties on! Plus, the drifts were a bit deep in parts!

I went back to the tent after but could hardly sleep anymore. I had already had 8 hours of sleep since we hit the hay at 9 p.m. last night.  There is still a large amount of condensation snow inside the tent that comes down whenever the wind hits us. Once 9 a.m. rolled around, I decided to pop 600 mg of Ibuprophen, one aspirin, and 500 mg of Diamox. My throat still feels like crap, right under my larynx, and I think it is just irritation from the very cold and dry air. Billy (RMI) said that he gets much the same thing quite often. He warned me about watching for pink or bloody sputem in whatever I'm caughing up, since that is a symptom of HAPE. Ugh!

I'm sitting in the tent right now pounding down water like there is no tomorrow and staying out of the cold. The pressure is 29.58 inHg and rising fast, so that is a great sign for the weather possibly improving. The sun has started to show itself once in awhile, and we will probably do the carry to the cache site at 13,700 ft. tomorrow. I don't really mind the delay this time since it gives me time to get over this crazy cough.

I forgot to mention the dead bird at Camp II in my log entry from yesterday. He had joined us during the perfect weather to Camp II, and when the weather socked us in, so did it sock in the poor bird--he was taking shelter between the tent fly and the tent of Eric's group. Too bad--yet another sign of the raw and unpredictable Denali weather. We said our quick vigils under our breath and went about our business of getting the hell out of Camp II!

[9:15 p.m.] The weather sucked today! One group from AAI climbed Motorcycle Hill to do their cache, only to be turned around at the top due to very high winds. Not so good! The plan tomorrow is the same as it was today, and we may even make a second run to Camp IV and move if the weather is really good and we feel good. Who knows!? Ok, I'm off to get some zzz's!

No comments: