Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Denali Journal, Day 14: Camp IV (Rest)

[Camp IV Day 5]  This morning, Walter woke us up to a breakfast of freeze dried eggs and real bacon!  He announced that it was too windy on the ridge leading to High Camp to make a move.  We dubbed it "Disappointment Morning" because it meant at least FOUR more days at Camp IV (today, Thursday, and 2 predicted 50-70 mph wind storm days).  That would put our earliest summit day at Monday, Day 18, with a fly-off on Wednesday (throw in a weather day and it will take the entire week).  This doesn't look good for my schedule, since I had expected to be back in the office by mid-week.  Billy said that they could hook me up with another guided group to get me out if I needed to get back sooner, but I will have to think hard about this.  In the big picture, is it better for me to extend or go back?  

Wes and company built some sculptures today, including a woman climber named "Helga," complete with a climbing harness!  Since there were no women on the climb, they created one!  

The LAMA helicopter flew in today to get the Spanish women that had frostbitten toes.  I hope that she doesn't loose them all, but it will nonetheless change her life.

Above: Video of the LAMA rescue.

I started reading "The Odyssey" by Homer today.  I'm getting tired of Camp IV and all the sitting around!  Another day in paradise! 

No comments: