Thursday, May 22, 2008

Denali Journal, Day 15: Camp IV (Rest)

[Camp IV Day 6] Today we are still in a holding pattern.  It is nice out today, but the forecast is calling for high winds again tomorrow and Saturday (50-70 mph with higher winds up higher).  This is our sixth day at Camp IV and we are stretching to find things to do to occupy our brains other than the eat->sleep->hot drinks->dinner, etc. routine.  Some of the guys spent the afternoon building an igloo, which is really quite impressive!  To the left is Wes, one of the lead igloo instigators, inside the structure itself.  The front of the igloo has the letters "RMI" engraved on it--pretty styling for Camp IV!  

I talked to Walter about my schedule difficulties and the trials and tribulations that I was going through in my brain.  He could sense that something was up, and just asked that I keep him informed of my decision on what I want to do.  The right thing is for me to be  back at work by mid-week at the latest. 

The high wind forecast has the entire camp fortifying their tent snow walls--it almost looks like a war zone here, with everyone dug-in!  Two other RMI teams arrived today and they built their walls right up to the igloo, which looks pretty cool.  I'm 2/3 done with "The Odyssey" already.  There is a big lenticular cloud hanging over the summit and you can see spin drift all along the ridge.  We are bracing for a nuclear winter!

No comments: