Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Denali Journal: Preparations in Talkeetna

[8:15 p.m.] I am at the Talkeetna Motel, otherwise known as the "tee pee", reflecting on our day today.  I'd say that overall, I'm less nervous but still am experiencing some anxiety for the unknown.  However, I'm more relaxed.  We met this morning at The Roadhouse for breakfast, spent a lot of time at the Hudson Air hangar, and attended a presentation at the National Park Service.  We watched a crow kill a gull in mid-air and it later was eating it alive--I'm not sure if this is good or bad karma for our trip or just a sign of the raw nature around us.  We ate a big cheeseburger at the West Rib and dessert at The Roadhouse.  More than two weeks is going to seem like a really long time in sub-zero temperatures.  The team is good, I think--some good experience and personalities are adding up to a good dynamic, although I have lingering concerns about a few of the members.  I called mom and dad and could not help but worry about the risk I was taking and if this was fair to my loved ones.  I called my friend Scott in Valdez also, who I feel a true sense of warmth and friendship from and already miss.  Tomorrow we will meet at 8:00 a.m. and will start shuttling to Base Camp at 9:00, but it will take four trips to get everyone there.  The forecast high above calls for lows of -15 degrees.  If we land tomorrow at base, we will start up and probably get to Camp I at 7,800 feet.  It should be an interesting first day.

No comments: